SHADE BALLS.....

Downunder

Guest Andys@coffs

I guess the black absorbing heat is an issue if the balls that are exposed to the sun are also the ones in the water...looks to me as though there is more than only one layer. The dam surface area is a function of fullness...seems to me that the LA dam is a long way short of full. A hot top layer of round balls doesn't have huge touching surfaces for the next layer of balls down for surface to surface heat transfer

The balls will be several thick when level is down, probably single when its full. As others have said floating covers and tiles arent a new idea, not too many cost effective unless water VERY expensive

Black is the carbon black used to resist UV degradation, at best they are likely to last 15 yrs before breaking down slowly over the next decade

Wind will most definitely move them if not water filled. If they are then growth on outside could make them sink.

Absurd cost

All evaloration reduction reloes on very expensive water, like treated town water. All water has a value, plenty think its higher than it is.

Saw something recommending using these to fix Broken Hill water issues and covering Menindee lakes, would be cheaper to relocate the town.

California does lead the world in spending money to save percieved environmental problms.

• 2 weeks later...
More dedrading plastic in your water supply is a wonderful advance, a triumph of green intelligence.

All those plasticers leeching into the water supply will do wonders for the millions of human beings who have to consume it. Don't be surprised if in a decade or so, the will be ball fishing: removing every one of them down to the last floating sphere in order to halt the slow population poisoning.