Windows 10

but for the 100's of millions of users on the planet, windows works acceptably every day. Apple after 40 years is still only 6% of the market.

"Acceptably" is a matter of opinion which there isn't much point in debating! ;)

Apple after 40 years is still only 6% of the market.

That's kind of true (only if you're talking about the global desktop OS market), but somewhat misleading in its implication.

Lyle, how confident are you that Canon, Brother, HP and Belkin will have Win 10 drivers by July? My Win 7 (64) experience left me with no printers, scanner or modem. I don't want to be buying new peripherals, if I can avoid it.

Sue

It is working fine with my present batch of printers.. 2 year old Canon inkjet 10 year old HP Laser and 6 month old Samsung MFP.. I have a Canon standalone scanner that I haven't used for a while.. Will install that to confirm. From what I have found anything that runs on 7/8 seems to work, also nVidia and AMD are on the ball with new drivers so I haven't had a problem with video ( Intel only support card that work with Win8).

As to subscription /perpetual .. Apple have doing free upgrades forever ..(they put that cost into the cost of the hardware) where as MS don't have control of hardware so need to sell the OS.

Office included the subscription model when 2013/365 was released as a sustatial saving in TCO (total cost of ownership)

I'm still suffering the psychological effects of MacOS 9. Yes I know OS X is on a completely different platform, but it's still a Mac and I won't go near it (had to at work when I was given a MacBook, which I had to sneak Windows on it to make it useful for me).

One day I'll recover!!

Guest Andys@coffs
It's probably fair to say that MacOS and Linux are "cousins". If you go to the command line interface MacOS quacks and acts pretty much like Unix.

Windows however, is a bastard-child created by a clever and somewhat ruthless marketing man. I know he was aiming (quite successfully as it turned out) to conquer the PC market by making Windows "able to be made compatible with everything" but when the consequence of this is incessant fiddling and tweaking to get stuff to work correctly with it over a period of many years, I was bound to tire of it eventually!

People always seem to think that Microsoft windows came from ...well...Microsoft.... The reality is that the design team for windows NT came from people who were recruited on mass and used to work at a very high level for digtial on their proprietary operating system VMS, which most engineers of middle + age will have been exposed to on PDP 8 and PDP 11 machines at uni....... Why was Windows NT called that? well VMS plus 1 letter for each makes WNT.

VMS is and was extensively used in the financial world and had a networking feature called DECnet way before TCPiP got a hold...They also had clustering, whereby a server entity could be multiple machines so that in the event that a node died, the entity was still seen as being available to end users......Also uptime on VMS was measured in years, not days.....

No matter what your brand of poison you don't really have to go all that far back to find the point of divergence....

It may not be the case now but I suspect you don't have to go all that far back in RPT aircraft sim history to find digital computers running VMS

Andy

P.S http://windowsitpro.com/windows-client/windows-nt-and-vms-rest-story for those that are really bored.......I used to be a VMS Admin hence my interst

Yep, we ran VMS for years from PDP11s through the Alpha range until HP took the helm at DEC. Running 24 x 7 operations meant absolute reliability was required so with clustering and quality RAID arrays only power failures beyond the UPS and backup generator capacity stopped us. The reality was that the factories shut down first whenever there was a brown substance and fan collision. When I refused the job offer from our new masters & took the money they were going to migrate everything onto a new environment with SAP at the front within 6 months. We were fully integrated from supplier to customer so I thought that was funny. That was in 2005 & the system I left still survives. It has a GUI front end on PC clients a fully integrated ERP & SCADA with RFID & scanning technologies on an Oracle RDBMS on Alpha machines running VMS. Sometime change and upgrade don't make things better in reality.

Did I read somewhere that the biggest complaint of the new Airbook was that it would not run Win7????

Wow - didn't hear that. I remember going to a TechEd conference a few years ago and the guy presenting had a MacBook with Windows 7, explaining it was the best software on the best hardware. I guess he can't do that these days with the Surface tablets (or whatever you call them!),

Cheers.

Wow - didn't hear that. I remember going to a TechEd conference a few years ago and the guy presenting had a MacBook with Windows 7, explaining it was the best software on the best hardware. I guess he can't do that these days with the Surface tablets (or whatever you call them!),

Cheers.

There was a photo running around from one of the Build conferences , a shot of the audience with 2/3 of the notebooks with the Apple logo on the lid..

I think it has become more a ' status symbol' thing than necessarily the 'best' hardware.

I have setup Surface Pro3s for customers .. good quality, but the keyboard arrangement need work.. ie a fixed keyboard dock like Acer Toshiba etc

I run an Android simulator ( Bluestacks) on my PCs to test the Android FP systems before committing to hardware, wish there was an IOS simulator similar..

Android is very open compared to M$ or apple

Can't argue with that. Android still has a lot of catching up to do with its UI to both iPhone and Windows Phone (am I going off topic here? :P)