I'm going to learn Calculus.

old man emu

In my younger days I studied Statistics in order to interpret numerical results of scientific experiments that I conducted. Later on, I used trigonometry to solve questions of Momentum in motor vehicle collisions. However, apart from a slight introduction to Calculus way back when, I've never understood its uses, or its applications. So, I've decided to dive in and learn Calculus.

This is the teaching reference I am going to follow: http://www-math.mit.edu/~djk/calculus_beginners/

Got to keep the grey cells active to ward off Old Timers.

OME

I started reading the link on calculus

Promising start

A bit of humor, good

Then I Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've decided my grey cells stay more active when they are trying to keep me alive while flying! Probably not enough grey cells to do calculus.

I learned calculus at uni when studying engineering. I only did year 10 at school, so it was a tough gig, but I got through the math somehow. 15 year on, I have never used any of it and I could not do the basics to save me now. I do still use some math, including stats/probs an some basic trig, but thats about it. Calculus was pretty freaking cool when it finally clicked in your brain, its sad that I cant remember any of it.

I doubt very much if I'll ever have a practical use for the knowledge, but the mere process of studying it is what interests me. I'd like to learn to play an musical instrument, but I haven't the patience to develop the co-ordination required, and you can only play "Smoke on the Water" so many times.

OME

Fantastic OME. Sir Isaac Newton was likely the most brilliant scientist of all time and his discovery of calculus (also was Leibniz) was literally about how the universe was created. As Pythagoras said "all is number", that is everything we see in nature right down to sub-atomic level (OK we can't see that) is based on mathematics.