Which modem

Ferris

Now I know this is so far off topic that it's ridiculous, but the knowledge and skill base here is broad and everybody seems to be genuine with their advice. Sometime ago we updated our Internet with a Telstra bundle to get the highest speed available with ADSL2 out here in the bush. We kept the original Telstra Speedtouch modem, which I have now found out was only ever intended for ADSL1. Unfortunately Telstra don't want to play the game and want another 100 bucks for a new modem, so they can go jump as they promised a modem for free. Given that we have teenage kids that are gaming, streaming HD movies and the like. I've had a look on ebay and modems are priced from $30 to $300. So the question is, which one should I get? As I said before this is way off topic, but I am confident somebody will have the answer. Keep the sunnyside up. Ferris

Guest Andys@coffs

So before spending any money I'd want to know how far away you are from the exchange. As the distance increases the ability of the modem to deliver on bandwidth decreases and in many cases people have moved from ADSL1 to ADSL2 and received exactly no benefit at all.

A reasonable first test is to ensure that the ADSL1 modem is synching at the fastest possible speed (8Mbps down 1Mbps up) if its less than that then you might not achieve any real benefit from spending your $ (Its not an exact statement as the graph below points out but its a rough rule of thumb)

How can you tell how far away from the exchange you are? go to this website http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/and put in your phone number and it will bring up a map showing where the exchange for your area is. straight line distance plus 20% is a good rough guess as to the distance your copper line runs (its only a guess, in some cases it could be double if there is no straight line run)

Once you have that distance you can go here http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_broadband/performance/ and about 1/2 way down is a graph that can show you the theoretical speeds you can achieve for the distance you are away from the exchange. If you are further than 3.5km's...then stay with what you have and hope that NBN (Fibre to your home) happens....despite the LNP

Andy

Guest steve-nz

Hi there,

I actually work for an ISP in NZ, what we recommend is the DrayTek 2760's - as they will support both your ADSL and VDSL - so if they start offering that, which will give you better upload and download speeds you have one ready :-) (Just as long as your line is all good there)

I bought faster and faster modems, but finally the suppliers admitted I was way out on the end of the line, and the 1.35 Megabits.second speed was limited by the line not the modem.

I use a 3G mobile modem and from the same location, get about 1.9 megabits/second.

I've just had to face a situation where I have do do complex overseas work which requires a minimum 6 megabits per second.

Luckily for me, Telstra (who'd been telling me it was impossible at my location) had just upgraded my area to 4G without telling anyone.

Bought a prepaid mobile modem for $87.00 and I'm getting 9.8 megabits per second.

Not sure which Mallee you're from Vic or SA, but my grandfather came from the SA Mallee.

The reason I gave you the above run down is that both mallees are not unlike where I am - poor quality locally, but surrounded by better services.

If you check the processing speed of your modem as shown on the specification, you can rule that or in by the specification. I'm guessing if it will process a minimum 2.5 megabits per second you should not get videos freezing. If the modem specification is 2.5 or more, then my guess is the telephone line is the speed limiter, and that's not likely to improve any time soon in the Mallee.

So you could play around with what I did - If you can get video smoothly on your 3G mobile phone, a 3g modem may be the answer. I can use the notebook computer on 3G in a lot of outback locations.

While I wouldn't expect you can get 4G yet, it would be worthwhile to punch your address into the Telstra site checker, and you may get a pleasant surprise like me.

Hope this is some help

I fear with teenagers doing their thing a 3G modem could be costly as the download quotas for 3G aren't normally that high.

As a systems/network admin at the company I work for (IT Managed services) we see alot of different types of router/modems.We supply and install mostly business/Enterprise grade gear but as far as the consumer grade router/modems the most reliable ones (i.e the ones we install and never hear back from the customer, because they are working as intended) I would recommend something like the Netgear DGND3700 ( I have this one at home - solid and lots of nice features) or something from the Billion Range. They are pretty tough, we often joke that after a nuclear holocaust there will be nothing but cockroaches and a billion router serving internet :)

Also stay away from Linksys, (Bought out by Cisco I believe but their gear is NOT cisco grade/quality) we see way too many issues with Linksys, and crappy after sales support i.e. good luck getting support or trying to get them to refund/replace it. I hope this helps.

Guest Andys@coffs

+1 Billion...not so much Netgear....but then I use much of the billion capability of their higher end consumer gear and Netgear doesn't cover the same space......Billion has good support and good Australia presence out of Adelaide from memory

and I definitely agree that 3 and 4G can be very very dangerous with over usage fees, although of late Optus has started to address this by creating a set of pre-agreed steps that you can escalate up. Without the steps you can go from $40 per month to $300 per month with just a bit over the limit.....

Any of the Virtual resellers of the Optus or Telstra services seem of late to be establishing daily limits on how much bandwidth you can use per day. Exceed it once and you'll get a snotogram exceed it twice and you may well be a "former customer"

Ok if just one user and that one user can and does monitor usage, with multiple users in the house the damage can be done in minutes and by then its simply too late..... Standard Microsoft O/S's and Apple ones too, these days download a heap of stuff in the background, monthly updates, daily updates to security products etc Its hard to know exactly what you are using.

Also, and sheer bastardry in my view, Telstra and Optus both have a minimum limit for session size. If you connect to 3G and simply download a 10kB email message and then disconnect some of their services will say that due to minimum session connection limits (and this is a commercial decision not in any way a technical constraint) you used 1MB of data. Get that happening multiple times and your 1GB of available usage (which is 1024MB...or probably only 1000MB cause they can define it any way they like!) can suddenly turn into only 250Mb of useful download...... What you measure used on your PC (assuming you have an add-on software package that monitors usage) and what the Telco thinks you used is very different......Only in the Telco space could you sell something so flawed and get away with it Wireless is very much inferior both commercially and technically to a fixed line option...assuming you can get one.. but great if you cant!

If they promised it, make them cough up.

Call the Telecommunications Ombudsman and your Consumer Affairs organisation to push the point. I am soooo over Telstra but, like everyone else in the country there isn't much else around that will give you coverage as you move.

If it comes to that, I don't even get much (wireless) coverage at home from them!

Kaz

Now I know this is so far off topic that it's ridiculous, but the knowledge and skill base here is broad and everybody seems to be genuine with their advice. Sometime ago we updated our Internet with a Telstra bundle to get the highest speed available with ADSL2 out here in the bush. We kept the original Telstra Speedtouch modem, which I have now found out was only ever intended for ADSL1. Unfortunately Telstra don't want to play the game and want another 100 bucks for a new modem, so they can go jump as they promised a modem for free. Given that we have teenage kids that are gaming, streaming HD movies and the like. I've had a look on ebay and modems are priced from $30 to $300. So the question is, which one should I get? As I said before this is way off topic, but I am confident somebody will have the answer. Keep the sunnyside up. Ferris

Netgear router/modems with wi-Fi work for me. Ubiquitous, well regarded with a good range of security settings.

Hi guys, I was absolutely confident that a heap of info would come my way and it has. Turbo, I'm from the east side of the border, but conditions are fairly similar out west as well. I ran into a telstra linesman today who was kind enough to test my line and check the exchange. Apparently we have adsl1 speeds and the exchange is congested. He wasn't too hopeful about things improving anytime soon. He told me the exchange needs a heap of money spent on it, and telstra have no intention of doing that while the NBN is in the pipeline. Anyway, he loaned me a telstra modem to try over the weekend, but sadly it hasn't made to much of a difference. I got quite a surprise, the young fella went way out of his way to help me and give advice. I'd like to send a note to his bosses, but they'd probably kick his backside for checking my lines and the exchange for free. Anyway thanks for all the tips and tricks and I'll let you know how i get on. Now time for a look in aviation trader.