Keep your Theist/Atheist arguments here

14 hours ago, onetrack said:One Professor Ivan Watkins of the University of Texas, Austin, postulates that the Incas utilised the focussed rays of the Sun to cut their building stones so precisely...

I don’t doubt the possibility, 1T.
Yonks ago I “inherited” a broken WWII searchlight mirror from a mate. One afternoon I opened the garage door and was badly burned as I walked past the broken remains. After pointing a section (less than half a square meter) at the late afternoon sun it took seconds to melt a fingernail-sized hole thru some steel.

• Informative 1
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I'll bite...   Firstly, there's a slight irony in you trying to debunk evolution because "it's not possible", then saying you're quite happy to believe an invisible man made everything s

OME, I object to that remark. I know many atheists. I categorise only one of them as being 'evangelical athiest'. Even I avoid him. The rest prefer to keep to themselves. They generally avoid dis

One-track, thank you for sharing your beliefs with us. It doesn't fit with my view of a believable universe. But I respect your choice.

Posted Images

Any parabolic mirror will reflect light parallel rays that strike its inner surface through the focal point of the parabola. 

You can use the following equation to determine the focal point for yourself. The formula for a parabola is f = x2 /4a.

To find the focal point of a parabola, follow these steps:

Step 1: Measure the longest diameter (width) of the parabola at its rim.

Step 2: Divide the diameter by two to determine the radius (x) and square the result (x2 ).

Step 3: Measure the depth of the parabola (a) at its vertex and multiply it by 4 (4a).

Step 4: Divide the answer from Step 2 by the answer to Step 3 (x2 /4a). The answer is the distance from the vertex of the parabola to its focal point.

image.thumb.png.3a68e67fc3c445f777243da6f65a31ae.png

If the rays are in the infra-red portion of the spectrum they are related to heating. So those heating rays are concentrated in one spot and can start a fire.

220px-Olympic_Torch_2010.jpg

A mirrored surface with high specular reflection is used to concentrate light from the sun into a small cooking area. Depending on the geometry of the surface, sunlight could be concentrated by several orders of magnitude producing temperatures high enough to melt salt and metal. For most household solar cooking applications, such high temperatures are not really required. Solar cooking products are typically designed to achieve temperatures of 65 °C (150 °F) (baking temperatures) to 400 °C (750 °F) (grilling/searing temperatures) on a sunny day.

Paraboloids are compound curves, which are more difficult to make with simple equipment than single curves. Although paraboloidal solar cookers can cook as well as or better than a conventional stove, they are difficult to construct by hand. Frequently, these reflectors are made using many small segments that are all single curves which together approximate compound curves.

• Informative 1

Why would the extra-terrestrials spent their time and expertise on such stupid structures? Hiding your treasure in a pyramid visible for a hundred k?

Anyway, there is no shortage of evidence to the lack of such help. Each layer of the pyramids is sloping just a bit towards the prevailing wind and why? because they flooded each layer after sealing up the joints with clay and making a low perimeter wall. Stains of the clay are there to this day.

Why do we not usually hear such stuff? For the same reason we don't hear evidence of the non-existence of jesus.

There is not much money is these stories.

• 5 weeks later...
On 02/03/2021 at 10:34 PM, old man emu said:

Examinations at Pumapunku site of the soil under the structure indicate that construction commenced about AD 536 .  A radiocarbon date was obtained from organic material from the lowermost and oldest layer of mound-fill forming the Pumapunku...

Back to this, one of the most important topics.

Is the above report totally reliable and definitive?

If so, other researchers should be able to replicate the work and get the same result.

This bloke, and lots like him, don’t accept the conventional explanations.

This video is a good summary of current mysteries and well worth watching.

This 

I'm enjoying all this collective researching and postulating. Thanks!

Although most most posts are not directly related to "...your theist/atheist arguments...",   It represents the least thread drifting that I've ever seen!

I guess it does highlight our human tendency to create stories whenever we get challenged by an unanswerable question. That leaves the rest of us to try to find logical answers to mysteries.

Eg: The great wall of china, "built by emperor Nasi Goreng to keep the rabbits out", or telling kids where babies come from, or numerous religious texts.